Raining Clovers

.

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Maybe It's not a BAD IDEA



For the last three days I have been spending my time at the Convention Center attending the Oregon Dental Association Conference.  It's always exciting to learn about new products, techniques, research and of course meet up and have lunch with all my colleagues.  Friday morning I signed up for a class taught by Dr. Jorgen Slots titled New Approaches for Antimicrobial Treatment of Periodontal Disease.  Dr. Slots is a world renowned Danish periodontist who is now a professor of dentistry and microbiology at the University of Southern California School of Dentistry.  He has published over 300 articles related to the field of periodontology, microbiology and implant dentistry.  Dr. Slots also discovered the role of Aggregatibacter Actinomycetemcomitans in periodontics.  Yes, I know that is a big word but it's a type of bacteria found in the mouths of those with periodontal disease.  Dr. Slots' most current research has shown that rinsing with 0.2% Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach) solution is the most potent antiseptic and disinfectant agent against bacteria, fungi and viruses.  Thus helping to control the pathogens responsible for periodontal and other diseases.  Please note that I am only telling you a small portion of this studies results.  If you would like to read the entire research article you can find it in the Journal of Periodontal Research 2002:37;389-398.  In addition, I do not recommend rinsing with bleach without first consulting with your Dentist or Dental Hygienist.  I know in my office we will be incorporating this treatment recommendation to all our current and future perio patients.  Dr. Slots' study shows promising results to treat and prevent periodontal disease, the leading cause of tooth loss.  So, Verizon's new commercial might not be a BAD IDEA after all!  Who wouldn't want to kill off the pathogens causing periodontal disease?!

No comments:

Post a Comment